Weekends (sigh)

I saw a graphic "don't let your weekend become your weak-end" and unfortunately, it resonated with me.

Earlier in this health journey, I got into the habit of being "good" Monday-Friday: ate healthy meals, limited my sugar and drank water.  And as long as my routine was in place, I often lost 2 pounds over those 5 days.  But the weekend would come, I no longer control all my meals, and my work schedule interferes with both my exercise and my eating routines, and I'd gain those 2 lbs (and sometimes more) right back.  This happened for months.  It gets demoralizing to feel like you are "always" on a diet, and not have any long-term results to show for it.

I've wised up (somewhat) and there's no longer quite such an extreme difference between my weekdays and weekends, but I haven't beat them yet.

Part of my health journey has meant being patient with myself: not beating myself up over failures but pausing and asking myself questions: what makes this hard?  What makes weekdays successful?  What would a "successful" weekend look like?  What can I do to make that change?

And do it gently.

I have learned:
I do best in routine.  Weekends are off routine.
I feel entitled, and food is a reward.
My work schedule interferes with my food schedule, and I tend to overeat as a result.
I view exercise and good food choices as "work," and thus I am "off" on weekends.
Unless I control the menu, the food choices are not predominantly healthy.

Hmmm.  So - how to incorporate a new sense of routine over the weekend?  How to find rewards that don't derail me?  How do I change my perspective so my healthy habits are just that: habits, not work?  How do I either stay in control of the menu, or get those who are in control to choose healthier options?

Well, I'm not going to get it all right at once, but here's what I'm trying this weekend:

I'm planning for "snack-style" supper (and possibly lunch) that I can eat on the job at work - pre-portioned so I don't mindlessly overeat.

We'll keep our Saturday brunch tradition: but I'm making omelettes instead of waffles.  It's easier to keep it healthy and still feels special and delicious!

I allowed for a cheat meal in there - I won't feel guilty about that - but I will limit it to one cheat meal, not a whole cheat weekend.

I'm going to try keeping to my workout schedule on Saturday and Sunday, and let my "rest day" be a non-weekend day (that way, I'm hoping, I'll be less tempted to make it a 3 day weekend!)

When my kids cook or bake - I will taste what they made to show my support, but I will not feel obligated to eat the whole meal they made if it compromises my health journey.  I will have back ups on hand in case (just made a big pot of soup that's pre-portioned and in the freezer for just such occasions).  (Honestly, their favourite foods are not special to me, so I'm find with tasting their macaroni and cheese and creamed corn, then eating my own meal instead.  Just have to be gracious about it!)

Let's see how I do!

Comments

Popular Posts